Sleepy Villas vs. Sigur Rós
Like This and Like That is the new column from Snobcast extraordinaire, Father Guido Sarducci IV. The procedure: Every morning (OK, maybe not every morning) Guido will snatch the first crisp, clean & new mp3 he stumbles upon, listen to it at least once, and then find an old song (ten years or more) for some good old-fashioned compare and contrast. The purpose: To draw a line between the modern and the out-of-date. The premise: To expose the kids to their past while also showing the unfashionable adults that there’s great new music being made every day. Thus, if you like This than you might like That.
“Wide Awake” by Sleepy Villas vs “Svefn-G-Englar” by Sigur Rós
Sleepy Villas make psychedelic soft rock, driven by classic guitar and choral vocals, with a slight bit of electronic percussion. It’s funny that all the info. regarding Sleepy Villas on the web asserts that both Alexandra Loughton and Kyle Benjamin Poff hail from the band Wrungs. Why is this funny? Just try to find out anything regarding Wrungs. There’s even less about that band. Anyway, we know that Sleepy Villas recorded Hunger Is A Place in Albuquerque over the course of a few weeks along with Kyle’s brother, Jordan Carol Poff. Grab the six song EP here!
Sigur Rós make, what has best been described as, dream pop. What I really find similar between these two songs isn’t just the ambient, experedelic sounds paired with the subtle electropercussion, but the distant chant-like vocals. I expect everyone knows this song because it was featured in one of the best movies about the dream-psyche that isn’t Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. No, it’s not Inception either; it’s Vanilla Sky! Man, I loved that movie! At the time, Cameron Crowe had just become my favorite movie-maker with Almost Famous and then Vanilla Sky comes out and it’s not only a wicked movie but it’s also got an awesome soundtrack.
- Computer Magic vs. A Flock Of Seagulls (godonnybrook.com)
- Sigur Rós Hit Out at Advertisers ‘Copying’ Their Music (spinner.com)
- Jónsi of Sigur Rós Plans Acoustic In-Store Gigs (pitchfork.com)
- Norman Palm vs. Belle & Sebastian (godonnybrook.com)
- Jokers Of The Scene vs. Massive Attack (godonnybrook.com)
- Kelis vs Madonna (godonnybrook.com)
- Sigur Rós Casts A Light On Commercials With Music Suspiciously Similar To Sigur Rós (stereogum.com)
- Social Mores At Work: Sigur Rós Calls Out Commercials With ‘Similar’ Music (techdirt.com)
- Sleepy Age (einsteinmusicjournal.co.nz)