Awww, the Best-Of list. Everybody longs to have the definitive outlook, but nobody ever gets it right. So here’s what we will be doing: We will be analyzing the year end lists of some other “reputable” music publications, I’ll sort of edit them accordingly to fit my preferences, and then play those songs on the Snobcast. Then you, the reader, can tell me what you think should stay; what should go; and what should be added or subtracted from the list/playlist. In the end we will have compiled the definitive Best of 2007 list.
Another Snobcast already you say. Yes, Father Guido is on holiday and intoxicated with enthusiasm for Donnybrook and year-end nostalgia. So my myopic goal is to post a new Snobcast each day because there are just too damn many Best-Of lists. All this means is you better start commenting quicker in order to keep up.
This is who has been dismissed from and who has been added to the list:
|Band of Horses||Battles|
|The Black Lips||Patrick Wolf|
|St. Vincent||Devin the Dude|
|Manic Street Preachers||UGK|
|Sondre Lerche||Jason Isbell|
This week’s Best-Of revealed after the jump.
I received this next list via private wire sent by Prof. Honeydew. Being an ex-resident of NYC, Honeydew is familiar with the elitist of music outlets. This list was compiled by the staff at the distinguished Manhattan record store Other Music.
From their site:
OTHER MUSIC (uth’er myoo’zik) n. Abbr. OM (om)
1. 1. A Manhattan-based record store specializing in amazing sounds, past, present, and future.
2. 2. An unparalleled selection of underground and experimental CDs, LPs, imports and out-of-print rarities.
3. 3. A venue hosting in-store performances from the likes of DJ Shadow, Yo La Tengo, Jim O’Rourke, Tindersticks, Mouse On Mars, etc. and others still to come.
4. A unifying aesthetic for a cornucopia of seemingly disparate musical genres; an attempt to classify the unclassifiable by delineating the common threads among these genres.
5. Your friendly, reliable 24-hour on-line liaison to all of the above.
Here’s their list:
1. TINARIWEN – Aman Iman
2. PANDA BEAR – Person Pitch
3. BURIAL – Untrue
4. ANIMAL COLLECTIVE – Strawberry Jam
5. PANTHA DU PRINCE – This Bliss
6. NO AGE – Weirdo Rippers
7. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Skull Disco – Soundboy Punishments
8. M.I.A. – Kala
9. JAY REATARD – Blood Visions
10. MAGIK MARKERS – BOSS
11. KING KHAN & THE SHRINES – What Is?!
12. VARIOUS ARTISTS – After Dark
13. THE CAVE SINGERS – Invitation Songs
14. ROBERT WYATT – Comicopera
15. ERIC COPELAND – Hermaphrodite
16. SPOON – Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
17. BAND OF HORSES – Cease to Begin
18. BLACK LIPS – Good Bad Not Evil
19. VAMPIRE WEEKEND – EP
20. EFDEMIN – Efdemin
21. STUDIO – West Coast
22. THE FIELD – From Here We Go Sublime
23. CHROMATICS – Night Drive
24. ST. VINCENT – Marry Me
25. OH NO – Dr. No’s Oxperiment
Here’s our list:
“Archangel” Burial Untrue
“Come Around” M.I.A. Feat. Timbaland Kala
“Windows Blues” Band of Horses Cease to Begin
“Veni Vidi Vici” The Black Lips Good Bad, Not Evil
“Oxford Comma” Vampire Weekend EP
“Now, Now” St. Vincent Marry Me
“Great! There It Is (Tag Team vs LCD Soundsystem)” The Hood Internet The Mixtape Volume One
“Nasty” Lil Wayne Da Drought 3
“Start A War” The National Boxer
“Good Morning (Intro)” Kanye West Graduation
“Waters Of Nazareth” Justice †
“Weird” Menomena Friend And Foe
“Ponytail” Panda Bear Person Pitch
“Peacebone” Animal Collective Strawberry Jam
“The Mountain” PJ Harvey White Chalk
“Backed Out On The…” Broken Social Scene Presents Kevin Drew Spirit If…
“The Girls” Calvin Harris I Created Disco
“If I Could Cry (It Would Feel Like This)” Jens Lekman Night Falls Over Kortedala
“Send Away The Tigers” Manic Street Preachers Send Away The Tigers
“Phantom Punch” Sondre Lerche Phantom Punch
Here’s the player:
Click here to get your own player.DISCLAIMER: Songs featured on the Snobcast are FOR PROMOTIONAL USE
ONLY. If you like what you hear, go buy the albums – contact us if you
don’t know where to find them. And if we feature your music and you
want it taken off the Snobcast, email us at GoDonnybrook@gmail.com.